Teachers working in the Diocese of Richmond Catholic Schools must contact Rosemarie Burrill in the Office of Catholic Schools to initiate licensure through the Virginia Department of Education.
While there are many different routes to take to be issued an educator license in Virginia, the below components are generally what will determine eligibility:
- Bachelor’s Degree (except for the Technical Professional License) from a nationally recognized college/university as reflected on official transcripts with a conferral date.
- Completion of content-area knowledge by coursework.
- Completion of a professional studies coursework.
- Completion of prescribed assessments.
- Student teaching/practicum/experience in the endorsement area.
- Completion of statutory licensure requirements.
These components may be satisfied through an approved traditional route to licensure (teacher preparation program) or an approved alternate route to licensure.
All candidates for licensure must have an assigned social security number issued by the US Social Security Administration in order to apply.
To apply for a VDOE Provisional or Initial License, complete the following requirements:
Contact Rosemarie Burrill prior to starting licensure process.
- Download and complete the Initial Teacher Checklist
- Download and complete the VDOE Initial Application
- Pay VDOE fees (yellow button below) and print receipt to include in licensure packet
- In-state address – $100
- Out-of-state address – $150
- Provide official college transcripts for all degrees earned
- Electronic copies must include email document stating authenticity
- Paper copies must be in a sealed envelope
- Download and complete a College Verification Form #35
- Download and complete a Report on Experience Form #37
- Copy of Praxis Scores, VCLA Scores, Praxis Teaching Reading: Elementary (dependent on license)
- Complete the following required statutory modules and provide Certificates of completion with your licensure packet.
- Child Abuse and Neglect Recognition and Intervention Training
- Go to Emergency First Aid, CPR & AED Certification or Training
- Dyslexia Awareness Training Module
- Behavior Intervention and Support Training– ODU/VDOE joint webpage
- Cultural Competency Training
- Virginia History or State and Local Government Module
Collect all documentation in a SINGLE packet and mail or drop off to: Office of Catholic Schools, Attn. Rosemarie Burrill, 7800 Carousel Lane, Richmond, VA 23294. Incomplete packets will not be accepted.